Highlight the correct answer, or type in what you think is correct.
- The technique of looking for and locating objects on the shore to navigate is called?
- a) Navigation
- b) Dead Reckoning
- c) Piloting
- d) Lighthouses
2.What is dead reckoning?
- a) Using objects on the shore to navigate
- b) Recording how far you have travelled in each direction based on a fixed point
- c) Using the stars and Sun to decide which way to go
- d) Making dead people decide which way to go
- Using the Sun, Moon, and stars to navigate is called?
- a) Celestial movement b) Global Positioning System
- c) Celestial Navigation d) none of the above
- Explain, in your own words, how you think GPS (Global Positioning Systems) work.
→ GPS satellites circle the Earth twice a day in a precise orbit.
- True or False: Submarines use high frequency radiation to navigate underwater.
- a) True b) False
- What are the people outside of an aircraft who help navigate planes called?
- a) Pilots b) Navigators
- c) Air Traffic Controllers d) Playstation Controllers
|WORD||DEFINITION||YOUR OWN SENTENCE|
|celestial||relating to, or suggesting heaven or divinity.||The late afternoon sunlight gave the room a celestial glow.|
|global||relating to the whole world: worldwide.||All this will happen eventually, I believe, even if global hunger policy were not to change one iota.|
|compass||an instrument containing a magnetized pointer which shows the direction of magnetic north and bearings from it.||A compass shows you which direction is north, south,west and East.|
- Explain: Birds were released by navigators from ships to find land, but how else, do you think, navigators could use wild birds to find land?
→They can use birds to gather Food and materials.